article thumbnail

Nonprofit Local News Gains Steam

PRSay

24, Chuck Todd of NBC’s “Meet the Press” shared his insights on the state of journalism and its future. It was refreshing to hear Todd’s optimistic vision for a future in which a more independent news media will regain the public’s trust and return to covering local communities with a sense of shared values.

Nonprofit 172
article thumbnail

In Memoriam: Joe S. Epley, APR, Fellow PRSA

PRSay

The full-service firm represented a variety of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to local nonprofits, many of them clients for more than two decades. where they both became active in the community, volunteering their time and expertise in organizations such as Thermal Belt Outreach Ministry and Polk County Historical Society.

Ethics 164
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

Building Your Communications Career from the Ground Up: 5 Ways to Make Any Job Work for You

Deirdre Breakenridge

Patagonia Community Board: Credit Ginny Lefler. According to a report by Burning Glass and the Strada Institute, 39 percent of Communications and Journalism majors will be underemployed in their first job. A Guest Post By Sarah D. Huckins, Graduate Student, American University, PR Expanded Blog Contest Winner.

article thumbnail

What’s Your Social Media Elevator Pitch? Join #PRStudChat on June 21 To Find Out How to Leverage Your Network

Deirdre Breakenridge

Their public relations experience spans various industries including entertainment, nonprofit, healthcare, technology, sports, and higher education. They will each share their experiences of how social media played a role in growing their PR careers and will provide tips and advice on how others can do the same. Read more.

article thumbnail

Seven Tips For Submitting & Winning Awards

The Stalwart Blog

The Phoenix Business Journal recently announced their 40-Under-40 winners and their judging panel shared some insight on what they look for and how a nomination may stand out from the rest. Community involvement -- I need more than a list of places or nonprofits you volunteered at. It's a highly competitive award.

article thumbnail

Spotlight on a Solo PR Pro: Meet Susan Stoga

Solo PR Pro

Originally from suburban Chicago, Illinois, she studied journalism at the University of Iowa, getting her start reporting on elections as early as her sophomore year. I’m kind of a pack animal — I like joining communities and being part of a bigger team,” she says. That’s part of the reason I ended up in the Solo PR group.”.

Meeting 91
article thumbnail

PR Agency Life: What to Expect

Burrelles Fresh Ideas

Studying for a public relations or mass communications degree is the most traditional route into the industry today, but it’s not the only route. I know PR professionals with degrees in journalism, mass media, English, business communication, marketing, sports and more.

Agency 88