article thumbnail

What the Uvalde Shootings and Other Crises Reveal about Press Conferences

PRSay

A press conference can be a risky way to convey information to the media and the public, particularly during a crisis. In a press conference the day after the massacre, Texas Gov. DPS held the follow-up press conference where the director characterized the local police’s action as the “wrong” decision.

article thumbnail

What U.S. Service Members Can Teach Us About Communications

PRSay

In March, I was selected to participate in this year’s Joint Civilian Orientation Conference (JCOC) , the oldest and most prestigious public-liaison program in the U.S. As a professional communicator, I consider the conference to be a model influencer-outreach campaign. Lessons for communicators. service members.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

#FuturePRoof podcast: strawberry picking

Stephen Waddington

The second #PRFest in Edinburgh proved to be a lively affair combining keynotes, panels and workshops. The innovative two-day event curated and managed by Laura Sutherland is establishing itself on the conference circuit. If you work or study public relations or public affairs seeks out opportunities to engage with your public.

article thumbnail

The Tug of War Between Journalists and the Obama Administration in Defining Transparency

Ishmael's Corner

Over the past two decades, public agencies have increasingly prohibited staff from communicating with journalists unless they go through public affairs offices or through political appointees. We consider these restrictions a form of censorship – an attempt to control what the public is allowed to see and hear.

article thumbnail

ICON 2022 Recap: How DE&I Helps Optimize Talent and Build Teams for the U.S. Military

PRSay

15 at PRSA’s ICON 2022 conference in Grapevine, Texas. Air Force (retired) and is now director of inclusive communities for Amazon. Beach was one of four participants in the Military and Veteran DE&I Keynote Panel, the closing General Session on Nov. His father came to the United States by joining the U.S.

Nonprofit 117
article thumbnail

The Value of Strategic Communications in the PRSA MBA/Business School Program

PRSay

The committee recently hosted a webinar for program faculty to discuss trends in strategic communications and best practices in teaching the course. By the end of the course, the students are creating videos, leading mock news conferences and developing crisis communications plans. Faculty talk trends and current events.

article thumbnail

How Big Data Will Modernize Your Crisis Communications Plan

PRSay

For a global enterprise that has built tremendous brand equity across its product portfolio, a crisis can translate into lost sales and public trust, and erosion of shareholder value. When Volkswagen disclosed the news, the conversation spread and was visibly seen as a “scandal” in the automotive community. Sign up here.