Remove Advertising Remove Community Remove Local Remove Sports
article thumbnail

Spotlight on a Solo PR Pro: Meet Stu Opperman, APR

Solo PR Pro

He developed a love of sports and print media at a young age, and set off to the University of Florida to pursue a degree in journalism. When he arrived on campus, however, he was amazed by the student-run broadcast stations, including radio and TV stations that would actually compete in the local market for ratings. “I

Meeting 131
article thumbnail

Depressed and depressing: the state of UK news media

Stephen Waddington

Advertising-supported media has been affected by widespread job cuts including around a dozen people at digital-born BuzzFeed. The local and regional sector that has been hit hardest with the net closure of 245 local news titles in the last 13 years according to Press Gazette research.

Print 115
article thumbnail

Meet the Media: Mary Gannon, Editor-in-Chief of Fluid Power World & Senior Editor at Design World

Bianchi Biz Blog

As the face of our brand, I am responsible for traveling to industry events and networking with our readers, advertisers and others. I have been in journalism or PR for 25 years — I went to Boston University for journalism and upon graduation, I worked as a business reporter for a local daily newspaper on the outside of Cleveland.

Meeting 73
article thumbnail

8 “curiosity conversations” I’d love to have in 2021

Communications Conversations

My friend and local PR legend, Rose McKinney gifted me a wonderful book by Hollywood producer, Brian Grazer. But, most (if not all) of them work in the comms/marketing/advertising worlds. Local real estate developer. I’d love to talk to him about the local real estate market and how he got into real estate investing. #5

article thumbnail

8 “curiosity conversations” I’d love to have in 2021

My friend and local PR legend, Rose McKinney gifted me a wonderful book by Hollywood producer, Brian Grazer. But, most (if not all) of them work in the comms/marketing/advertising worlds. Local real estate developer. I’d love to talk to him about the local real estate market and how he got into real estate investing. #5

article thumbnail

I tried Mastodon for a week–here’s what I learned

In 2022, here’s how I’ve been using Twitter: To follow chatter around the sports teams I care about (Jayhawks, Gophers, Wolves, Vikes); to follow politics; to follow some local MSP stuff; and to laugh once in a while. I have yet to see a server that revolves around any sports. Not sure brands will work on Mastodon.

Sports 60
article thumbnail

How COVID-19 will impact PR practice and skills

Stephen Waddington

In the consumer sector, the entertainment, gym, hospitality, sports and travel industries in the UK shutdown on 23 March when a lockdown was applied. In the public sector, communicators have never been busier, as energy is directed to public education and information. Newsrooms have been cut back to the bone and journalists furloughed.

Crisis 151