How To Score A Great Local News Story: 5 PR Tips

ImPRessions - Crenshaw Communications

It’s also important to determine whether a story has its best chance of being published as a local media item, or if it warrants a full national media outreach. This is one reason why local media should be part of any PR plan. Clearly, there are benefits to pitching local media.

Local 173

How the Canadian Newspaper Industry Can Adapt to Changes

Business Wire

In March 2017, Postmedia Network, Canada’s largest newspaper company, announced 54 layoffs at the Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province newsrooms. Perhaps none have been affected more than print newspapers. Across Canada, newspapers ranging from local dailies to national media are dealing with organizational restructuring, as they layoff long-tenured journalists and make changes to employee contracts and benefits.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

These are the local publishers getting engagement in the U.S. and U.K.

NewsWhip

We looked back at the local publishers that are seeing significant engagement in two different countries, looking at both the United States and the United Kingdom. . So we decided to analyze the local stories and publishers that are getting the most public interest. The top local U.S.

Local 85

Should you feel ashamed for reading the hard copy newspaper?

Communications Conversations

Every so often, I’ll see it in one of my social feeds: That comment or remark from a friend, colleague or industry person taking jabs at the hard copy newspaper and those that read it. I still love my hard copy newspaper. In fact, I would like to flip the popular thinking: Instead of asking “why would I read the daily newspaper? ask yourself: Why AREN’T I reading my daily newspaper? People who (hopefully) care about the community they live in.

Giving thanks for journalists and local news outlets in a difficult year of news reporting

PR Daily

Yes, we rely on journalists for valued coverage, but also for information, guidance and greater insight into what’s going on in our communities. We needed journalists to shine a light on the social injustices occurring across our country and document how communities were responding.

Local 141

Print newspapers still drive best ad engagement in Canada

Agility PR Solutions

Do newspapers still have ad power? They sure do in the Great White North, according to a new study from News Media Canada, which found that printed newspaper ads engage Canadians more than any other medium, print or digital. Specifically, the community media policy outlet’s 2019 Local Newspapers: Engaged and Connected Report reveals that advertisement engagement for print […].

Print 60

Facebook is local media

Stephen Waddington

Facebook pages and groups are replacing local media according to research from Braintree, Essex. By Dan Slee If there’s one thing I can tell you it’s that Facebook groups and pages in a local area are huge. I was talking to someone about the quiet spread of local Facebook groups and pages and how I’d love to carry out research on how big an impact they had, what they were talking about and how much of it was actually accurate. Not bad for a community of less than 5,000.

Local 61

Facebook is local media

Stephen Waddington

Local Facebook pages and groups are replacing local media according to research from Braintree, Essex. By Dan Slee If there’s one thing I can tell you it’s that Facebook groups and pages in a local area are huge. I was talking to someone about the quiet spread of local Facebook groups and pages and how I’d love to carry out research on how big an impact they had, what they were talking about and how much of it was actually accurate.

Local 60

The #PRStudChat Community Discusses PR, Twitter & Politics on Tuesday, October 11th

PR Expanded

ET, the #PRStudChat Community will gather to discuss PR, Twitter and Politics from local cities to the state houses to the national government, all while reaching and communicating to a global audience focused on this year’s election. At the same time, we’ll discuss how, as communication professionals, we approach news today, which has changed from neatly packaged/key sound bites that fit newspaper coverage, radio and TV to the 24/7 nature of social media, always on with no breaks.

Newspaper SOS: Why print publications are in desperate need of PR

PR Daily

In my last newsroom, working for Ohio’s largest newspaper, I didn’t have my own desk. Imagine my surprise when I reported for work in public relations, having leaped from the unfolding train wreck that is newspaper journalism after 30 rewarding years. It’s as if I moved from a trailer park to a gated community. Why newspapers' problem is PR's problem. As every media relations expert knows, newspaper journalists are still the best, most trusted sources of news in town.

Print 131

How an underground high school newspaper led to a 10+ year blog

Last Saturday, there was a wonderful article in the Variety section of the Minneapolis Star Tribune about groups of kids who had started neighborhood newspapers during the pandemic. First, we need more local journalism–whether it’s professional or not.

The Chicago Sun-Times’s Strategy May Save Newspapers

The Stalwart Blog

Regardless of your political leanings, this strategy of "don't be everything to everyone" could stand as a model for other newspapers to follow. . In contrast, most news organizations, while hemorrhaging revenues and audiences , remain determined to cover a broad range of topics catering to nearly every socioeconomic community within their region. While understandable, this strategy will only accelerate the demise of newspapers.

Online newsroom makes college a community information hub

PR Daily

With newspapers and TV stations shrinking their staffs these days, how does an organization get attention for its events and accomplishments? Even with our local metropolitan paper, staffing has been downsized considerably. That means it’s a hub of academic activity as well as a resource for a community that is both a tourist attraction and center of industry on the Gulf Coast, Eddleman says.

Online newsroom makes college a community information hub

Presspage

With newspapers and TV stations shrinking their staffs these days, how does an organization get attention for its events and accomplishments? That means it’s a hub of academic activity as well as a resource for a community that is both a tourist attraction and center of industry on the Gulf Coast, Eddleman says. Quick Takes enables users to post notable matters they wouldn’t pitch to news outlets, due to lack of local column space or airtime.

Health news site targets community, but draws employees

PR Daily

Brand journalism is often billed as a way for organizations to reach the community and news outlets through newspaper-style content. As financial troubles shrink the size of newspaper staffs, the remaining reporters are often grateful for the resource Juice provides. Familiarize yourself with 5 signs of suicide risk and local resources before you need them,” the headline urged.

What the GateHouse/Gannett deal means for PR pros

PR Daily

newspaper chains are fusing as one media powerhouse, in hopes of bolstering an industry in decline. Still, it probably won’t mean better coverage for your local news story. The newspaper market hasn’t recovered—but a mega-deal might help some local papers stay afloat. The two biggest newspaper companies in the U.S.—Gannett Gannett publishes USA Today, in addition to many well-known local newspapers. Build your local SEO. The top two U.S.

10 Top Media Trends for 2021

PR Daily

On a local level it was—and will remain—easier, as outlets have to produce a lot of content with ever-dwindling staffs and are relying increasingly on outside sources to provide that content. Local news is challenged. The model for local news is changing.

Media 164

Remote lawmaking changes the game for public affairs pros

PR Daily

With some lawmakers now voting remotely due to COVID-19 measures, even greater attention must be paid to local media outlets. With congressional leaders fulfilling many key duties from home, Bonjean says, local media markets are going to see a rise in influence.

Study: Journalists a top source for providing accurate news

PR Daily

For some, journalists are the only connection to what is happening in their community. According to Steve Cavendish in an editorial in The Washington Post , “Years of erosion have damaged the paper’s ability to cover the community.”. In the 2019 IPR Disinformation in Society study, local newspapers (62%) and local broadcast news (62%) fared well for perceptions of trustworthiness of the media and the ability to provide accurate news and information.

Study 131

What is PR?

PR Warrior

PR people spend most of their time trying to get the name of their client (or employer if they operate in-house for an organisation) into newspapers or magazines, or on radio or television. Or, they may be local councillors, government or business leaders, or members of a community group or industry body if they’re somehow integral to the successful running of your business or organisation. What the heck is PR?

Radio 248

Newsprint in pain as COVID-19 bites, so what’s next?

Stephen Waddington

Newspaper circulation during the COVID-19 crisis has been hit by as much as a third by newsagents closing and a reduction in footfall on the high street, across travel hubs and in supermarkets. There are similar stories unfolding at local newspaper companies JPI Media and Newsquest.

Theory: Boomers in PR don’t trust influencers or influencer culture

newspapers have shed HALF their newsroom employees since 2008. And, we’re seeing more community and local newspapers close shop every day. Locally, here in Minnesota, we’ve seen a number of community newspapers close just this year.

Should PR Pros Pay-to-Play for Media Placements in the New Media Ecosystem?

Glean.info Blog

A Network of Pay-to-Play Local News Sites. The demise of local newspapers may have opened the door to large pay-to-play online networks. Image by PublicDomainPictures from Pixabay.

Local 70

Establish yourself as an industry expert

PR for Anyone

Part One of ‘Public Relations Management First of all, you have to think about your local market. That being said, there is a huge opportunity to stand out locally. You might not know it, but you are already a prominent figure in your community. See what your newspaper is saying.

Why and how companies are turning to brand journalism

PR Daily

We wanted to do this through thought leadership with the business community, the chamber [of commerce], and nationally, as a forward leader in thinking about water in the West.”. You also have a community of customers and partners whose voices your company wants to magnify.

#MediaMonday – Ellen O’Brien

HMA Public Relations

The Jewish News covers news of interest to and about the Jewish community throughout the Valley. Since I also loved reading the newspapers and magazines that my parents kept around our house (the Arizona Republic, The Atlantic, The Economist), I decided to pursue journalism – and here I am!

Local 52

Depressed and depressing: the state of UK news media

Stephen Waddington

News media in pain Newspaper brands continue to suffer as readers shift from print to digital. Popular newspaper brands have suffered double digit falls in print circulation with the Daily Star (-18%), Daily Mirror (-13%), and Daily Express (-12%) hardest hit. The local and regional sector that has been hit hardest with the net closure of 245 local news titles in the last 13 years according to Press Gazette research.

Print 106

#16: How the consumer driven news cycle changes PR measurement

NewsWhip

Data and innovation leads for Hill+Knowlton Strategies in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia joined NewsWhip’s CEO Paul Quigley for a special panel session on the Pulse to talk about navigating multiple market nuances to be locally relevant at scale.

Lockdown letter: fraying at the edges

Stephen Waddington

Local Facebook groups have a vigilante mood. Images of lockdown dodgers have been posted in several local Facebook groups that I follow, both in London and the North East. Newspaper front pages this week celebrated the expectation of lockdown being eased.

When should you start a PR campaign?

PR Daily

If something important for your brand with a degree of popular appeal or relevance to a trending topic, and you are two weeks late in getting the news to the local or national media and don’t have any timely pictures or video to share, you're too late. Soft news concerns itself with less-urgent matters related to the community at large. If it’s a local magazine, the lead-time may be less, but not by much. Alow yourself a three-month margin when pitching local glossies.

Local 132

Caterpillar to cut up to 10,000 jobs

PR Daily

Oberhelman also penned an op-ed in The Peoria Journal Star , the company’s hometown newspaper. Peoria has been Caterpillar’s home for 90 years and we know this is especially difficult and hard for our local employees, families and communities.”. Caterpillar is cutting jobs, citing weakened sales amid a tumultuous international economy. On Thursday, a press release.

Cider sip or cider slip? Would you let a politician endorse your brand?

Stephen Waddington

Yesterday, the image plastered across newspapers and news websites was Boris enjoying a pint of Rattler Cornish Cyder. By 2015, the Conservatives won all six local seats. Our local Reach website, Cornwall Live, covered this and included her quotes.

Ethics 121

4 essential reasons for giving media training to your employees

PR Daily

After all, who wouldn’t want to see their company featured in local news, national media coverage or industry outlets? Media previews, grand openings and community events are a few examples of events when you’ll want to have more than just one company spokesperson ready to talk to the media. You want to raise awareness in local markets. Don’t put all your media relations eggs in one basket.

What PR pros should know about today's newsroom

PR Daily

A newspaper might ax its managing editor or put a publisher with an advertising background at the helm of the editorial operation. If you're looking for a religion reporter to pitch at your state's flagship newspaper, that beat may no longer exist. According to data from the American Society of News Editors newsroom census , the number of photographers and videographers at newspapers was cut by 43 percent in 2012, compared to a reduction of 32 percent among reporters and writers.

Communicators Can Help Americans Vote in 2020

PRSay

3, Americans will cast their votes for President and for state and local candidates. At the end of the day,” Sailor said, “we want to have a community that we will pass down to the next generation [as] a legacy of freedom.”.

Public affairs vs. public relations: What is the difference?

PR Daily

This is because organizations are homing in on local issues, including matters between the public and a legislative body. There is great importance in building strong and trusting relations between the organization and the community. The goal is to build alliances with the community—through campaigning, for example. The work by public affairs firms should encourage community involvement. Letters of support and passages in newspapers can be expected.

How offering historical context helps in a crisis

PR Daily

The morning after the earthquake, Fireman’s Fund placed an ad in all major newspapers: “Fireman’s Fund flag is flying and nailed to the mast.”. In 1931, the Yangtze flooded the city of Hankow, including AIG’s local offices.

Crisis 166

How targeted press efforts boost your brand's bottom line

PR Daily

local news stations are gaining viewers. Small business owners with a product or service that matters to their community should target the fact that local news has the highest trust index, is directly targeted at their audience and is more accessible to small companies than the major news outlets. While a slot on ABC News or The New York Times is obviously desirable, a mention on your local news station can be just as valuable to a small business in their local community.

Local 131

30 jobs in the PR and marketing world

PR Daily

The bourbon-based drink is a favorite for fans both in the stands and watching at home or their local watering hole. Copy editor—Manchester Newspapers (New York). Community engagement editor—The Register-Guard (Oregon). Break out your fancy chapeau, and pour yourself a minty bourbon delight; Derby Day is approaching. This week’s featured position is for the parent company of the famous event. The most exciting two minutes in sports” takes place this weekend.

Campus Media 101: What You Need to Know to Reach Student Journalists and Their Audiences

Beyond PR

The college newspaper. Community college newsletters or magazines. Campus Newspapers: The Digital Revolution Is (Also) Here. Let’s consider the campus newspaper in more depth. Campus newspapers all across the country are still being tasked with curating and creating content for the campus community on the whole; now, the format is split between website and print editions. Broadcast: Increased Collaboration Between Campus and Local Media.

Radio 59