article thumbnail

A Case for Marketing Ethics

Mindful Marketing

So, I was surprised recently when a student waited until others had left, then said, “Hey, Dr. Hagenbuch, I have a question about an ethical issue.” As we talked about the issue, one of the first things that came to my mind was Sports Illustrated’s recent moral lapse. Grant cleared each of those moral hurdles.

Ethics 94
article thumbnail

This Week in PR Ethics (10/20/22): Favela Tours, Virtuous Radio Hosts, and Virus Research

Ethical Voices

This week there were a wide range of ethical issues from slum tourism to sensationalistic news to the importance of stakeholders. The ethics of Favela tours – Fodor’s looks at the return of Favela Tours in Rio and asks – are they ethical? But my favorite is celebrating the positive, virtuous action by a radio station show host.

Ethics 77
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Teamwork Is a Contact Sport

Waxing UnLyrical

in team sports. The modern-day work environment doesn’t do a whole lot to help the situation either , especially for those of us who work in public relations and find ourselves communicating more and more via social media platforms. Social media interaction isn’t exactly a team sport. I can have a good idea.

Sports 40
article thumbnail

United we Brand? Top Reads on Corporate Activism

Flack's Revenge

More controversial efforts have included Dick’s Sporting Goods stand on guns , Nike’s Colin Kaepernick ad and Gillette’s campaigns regarding inclusion. This movement, if successful would compel them to balance profits and ethics. I love the proposal above, that boardrooms and C-suites should also be guided by ethical rules.

Corporate 198
article thumbnail

Fixing the broken web

Stephen Waddington

The web and the internet have enabled communities to form around an organisation, topic or issue. In February, a Parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee made urgent recommendations but our law-making process has been clogged up by issues relating to Brexit for the last three years.

Web 60
article thumbnail

Astroturfing has no place in modern public relations or public affairs

Stephen Waddington

Community building on Facebook is often used by brands and organisations as a means of building support for a campaign. It has been widely criticised for the propagation of misinformation on the platform most recently in a report on fake news by the Parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

article thumbnail

Meeting CIPR President candidate Mandy Pearse

Stephen Waddington

I valued Mandy’s counsel on CIPR Governance issues and engagement with public sector communications communities during my time as President in 2014. As an MBA holder she’s among a group of practitioners that have been driving communications at board level for more than two decades. Ethical communication is at the heart of this.

Meeting 96