Remove Communications Remove Community Remove Crisis Communications Remove Social Media

How to navigate the year of ‘social media hesitation’

PR Daily

With a stronger emphasis on purpose-driven communication and brand activism, how can your social media presence resonate with your audience while staying within your lane? Decide on the moral compass your organization strives towards and be true to those beliefs on social.

5 tips for building strong social media communities during difficult times

PR Daily

People may have more time for social media now due to COVID-19, but if you don’t adapt your strategies, you could lose some of your audience. For years, social media has been shifting away from its social roots to become more of a branding marketplace, but the COVID-19 pandemic gives us all a chance to swing the pendulum back in the social direction. To build stronger social media communities, try these five tips: 1.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

3 tactics for building brand authority on social media

PR Daily

When it comes to bolstering your reputation, what social media platforms, content types and messages will pack the biggest punch? Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to build authority while simultaneously working on other marketing objectives, including on social media.

How Visa Canada is helping its community during COVID-19

PR Daily

The media landscape is still dominated by COVID-19—and the narrative is unlikely to change as the U.S. However, organizations can still drive the conversation with efforts to help their community. Social listening is paramount.

5 emerging, surging social media trends for 2020

PR Daily

the way we work and use social media. Five crucial social media trends are highlighted below. Most social media managers have been trained to prepare content weeks or months in advance, but that approach will either result in outdated and off-tone content, or will require you to scrap everything you created and start again. Prioritizing social media listening. Imagine not listening on today’s social media channels before creating content.

Social Media Crisis Management: PR Communication Stategy

5W PR

The acceleration of social media has added to the challenges of crisis communications, an impact that a Pentland Analytics study says has doubled the impact on shareholder value. Social Listening. Getting the communication basics right.

Emory’s Excellent Crisis Communication on Facebook

Melissa Agnes

As you probably know, I’ve been having an interesting debate with a fellow crisis professional on whether or not to shut social media down in a crisis. If you’ve been following along, then you know that my take is that there is more to gain in leveraging social media to communicate with your audiences in a crisis, than there is to gain from closing the accounts down. Case Studies Crisis Communications

When approaching DE&I, lean on your communities

PR Daily

Facebook’s D&I lead shared some of the tactics that are working at the social media company, as well as how to think about long-term progress on this crucial issue for all industries. 17 during Ragan’s The Communicator’s Role in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Virtual Conference.

Why businesses should focus on community during (and after) COVID-19

PR Daily

Here’s how communicators can strike the right tone. As the globe is told to stay inside for the safety of themselves and their community, the giving and gifting economy has replaced traditional exchanges. This question belies a more fundamental reality: the need for community. Luckily, modern technology means that communication and interaction can be easily facilitated online. What community means. Once you are communicating your mission, what is the response?

State of Crisis Communications and Social Media from a Professor’s Perspective

Waxing UnLyrical

Social media and crisis communications has become one of the fastest growing areas of both practice and research for today’s communication landscape. A recent report from Continuity Insights in 2014 shows that “over half (58%) rated mobile technologies [are considered] as absolutely vital in carrying out crisis communications plans, up 5% since 2013” (page 4). Go to the International Risk and Crisis Communication Conference ( ICRC ).

Future of PR and social media for International Air Transport Association crisis communications conference

Stuart Bruce

Stuart Bruce speaking at the IATA Crisis Communications in the Social Media Age conference. (c) This morning I gave a keynote at the global ‘Crisis Communications in the Social Media Age’ conference in Istanbul. And thank you Aaron for that fascinating insight into how social media has changed journalism. Before I start I just want to point out the Social Media Friendly logo on my one and only PowerPoint slide.

Report: Consumers want to be entertained on social media

PR Daily

A new study from Sprout Social reveals that PR has a lot to offer online campaigns, including understanding the target audience, content generation, brand visibility and more. How invested is your organization in social media strategy? Most communicators interact on social media as part of their ongoing PR and marketing efforts, but a new study from Sprout Social suggests most organizations have room to grow.

Prioritize your crisis communications plan—today

PR Daily

Whether it’s a natural disaster, an act of terrorism or simply a torrent of nasty tweets, communicators play a key role in how these events are perceived and play out. If you communicate for a living, you have the power—and the responsibility—to shepherd, enlighten, instruct and lead when a situation arises. You are a first responder of sorts, so the onus is on you to be prepared for a crisis. FREE GUIDE: Keep your cool in a crisis with these 13 tips.]. News media.

How to convert social media critics into avid fans

PR Daily

Social media provides a plethora of engagement opportunities, but the medium is not without its risks. Here’s what PR pros learn from Dave, about social media and the power of humor in a rancorous media climate: It started with a YouTube video. Interacting with new fans wasn’t a problem for Dave, who is very involved in GT’s social media strategy. However, not all leaders want to be that hands-on with social media strategies.

PR Warfare: Social Media, Crisis Communications, and You

Social PR Chat

Merry Morud and Kevin Watterson from Aimclear talk crisis communications and community management in our digital world. Brands and Crisis Communications Plans: How Important Is It? Hello crisis communications. It’s the day you find your brand in the social media situation room. You have to understand that it’s hard to think clearly and strategically in the midst of a developing crisis,” he said. Social PR crisis communication

How to build community during the current global pandemic

PR Daily

Communications professionals play a unique role in times of crisis, usually because they are some of the first called into action as their organizations develop a response. However, COVID-19 is testing the boundaries of our typical crisis playbook. This means considering the mental and physical health of their teams, their safety, the economic health and safety of their communities and the survival of the cities they live in. Engage your professional community.

Share the work that engaged your community—online or IRL

PR Daily

Enter PR Daily’s 2019 Digital Marketing & Social Media Awards. The post Share the work that engaged your community—online or IRL appeared first on PR Daily. Content Marketing Crisis Communications Marketing Media Relations PR PR Daily Awards Ragan Awards Social Media digital marketing awards marketing awards social media awardsDon’t miss the final deadline on March 1.

Digital Crisis Communications: When to Shut Up

Waxing UnLyrical

The moon must be in the seventh house, or something, because all of a sudden all I see and hear is about digital crisis communications. Among other storied clients, Andy worked with Tylenol during its 1982 crisis , now a classic case study for communicators of all ages and stages. Now you would have to be able to communicate through Twitter, through a blog, through Pinterest, through Facebook.”

Social media is the top channel in external communications, Ragan survey reveals

PR Daily

Seventy-eight percent of survey respondents tout social media as the most important external channel, while press releases win the loyalty of 54%. Here’s a look at how you should be using social media in these uncertain times. What is your organization trying to accomplish on social media in a time of COVID-19, civic unrest and other crises? Not every organization is so assured, a Ragan Communications survey revealed.

Survey 110

4 steps to reduce a hospital social media crisis

PR Daily

Is your social media policy easy to understand? A report from Altimeter Group says social media crises are on the rise. This is good news for hospital CEOs who view social media as a potential disaster waiting to happen. Altimeter defines a social media crisis as “a crisis issue that arises in or is amplified by social media and results in negative mainstream media coverage, a change in business processes, or financial loss.”

Discovering the Roadmap in Teaching Social Media

PR Expanded

I have always been very passionate about social media, but when it comes to teaching social media, there is nothing more rewarding. I have been teaching my social media class for the last three years and it’s been one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had as a professor. How did I get started teaching social media? This has been the primary reason why I decided to self-publish my own book on the roadmap to teach social media.

50 ways communicators can navigate the ‘new normal’

PR Daily

Communicators stepped up big to keep the stay-at-home workforce connected. Now you’re communicating in a time of great change, from managing the unpredictable return to the office, the continuing impact of layoffs and budget cuts, and the urgent need to address racial inequality.

Starbucks, Coca-Cola and Unilever pause social media ads, Microsoft closes retail stores, and cosmetics brands drop ‘whitening’ terms

PR Daily

Also: Google explains how YouTube content gets promoted and more, UPS Dogs showcase the power of online communities, consumers say trusting brands is paramount, and more. Hello, communicators: Google created a website to explain how YouTube works, including its content policies and procedures. Don’t forget to brush up on YouTube’s “Community Guidelines” as well. Starbucks joins Unilever, Coca-Cola, Verizon and more in halting social media ads.

GoGo SqueeZ’s rotten crisis communication approach

The Stalwart Blog

That’s social media 101. However, it was 11 days later with an Update to Our Community post. This is a big no-no when it comes to crisis communication. You have to keep communication channels open when something goes awry and keep the public updated on what you’re doing to investigate and correct the situation. As a mom, I’m always interested in product recalls or issues related to baby products.

PR Warfare: Social Media, Crisis Communications, and You

Social PR Chat

Merry Morud and Kevin Watterson from Aimclear talk crisis communications and community management in our digital world. Brands and Crisis Communications Plans: How Important Is It? Hello crisis communications. It’s the day you find your brand in the social media situation room. You have to understand that it’s hard to think clearly and strategically in the midst of a developing crisis,” he said. Social PR crisis communication

6 crisis communications lessons from the #YourTaxis failure

PR Daily

On Wednesday—while the company was still reeling from its failure—its social media firm compounded its embarrassment. As the Victorian Taxi Association collects its thoughts and works to move beyond this mess, there are lessons communicators can learn from these events. RELATED : Escalate your social media game at Ragan's Disney best practices summit.]. Stoked the social media expert from #Coalisamazing found a new gig #YourTaxis. —

The Role of The Social CEO in Your Crisis Communications

Melissa Agnes

As my mind continually wraps around risk and crisis communications (I can’t help it, it just works that way), this study leaves me with a question of concern: If trust in executives is at an all-time low, how can this work against your organization in a crisis? In a crisis, you need your stakeholders to trust your spokesperson and, thus, your organization. It takes time and energy to build a community of trust. The Social CEO.

Adjusting your social media messaging during a global pandemic

PR Daily

With many searching for virtual connection, brand managers are perfectly positioned to facilitate connection and community in the face of the COVID-19 crisis. While we are social distancing physically, we are virtually more connected than ever. We crave human interaction, so when we are forced to isolate we turn to digital communication to feel less isolated. However, creating content during a global crisis must be handled with care.

How to quash fake news with a crisis communications plan

PR Daily

Doing business online, you expect the occasional negative review or snarky social media swipe from a competitor. Do you have a crisis communications strategy in place to fend it off? RELATED : Keep your cool in a crisis with these tips.]. To do that, you must calmly refute the allegations on all your communication channels. That means emailing customers, publishing blog posts and initiating conversations on social media.

Are we over-communicating COVID-19?

PR Daily

Some messages are essential for your audience and some updates are not helping to ease fears or build community. My own time doing hundreds of focus groups and surveys reveals this simple truth: For all the employees who say please stop, you’re communicating too much, there are others who say they’re in the dark and complain they don’t know what’s going on. RELATED: Stream our Crisis Communications Virtual Conference on March 31—without leaving your desk ].

5 ways social media has reshaped the PR industry

PR Daily

If you are a PR pro, you spend a lot of time on social media. With a global usership in the billions, social media has become one of the fastest growing industries in the world. From changing the way people consume their news to contributing to the rise of the citizen journalist, social media has forced PR pros and reporters to adapt or perish. Social media is immediate and noisy. That’s just one of many social networks.

Instacart to hire 300K, how COVID-19 is changing social media habits, and Facebook offers small business resources during the pandemic

PR Daily

Good morning, PR pros: Those needing a lift before diving into COVID-19 coverage and crisis communications might smile with Cadbury’s announcement of its 2020 bunny: A two-legged hound named Lieutenant Dan clinched the title. Though many organizations have paused campaigns as the pandemic grows, Cadbury’s contest and announcement can serve as a reminder that your communications can include inspirational and lighthearted content, as well. CRISIS DAILY NEWSLETTER.

Instagram drops IGTV button, public speaking tips from MLK, and how consumers get news from social media

PR Daily

Many social media users were quick to point out that the clothes bore a striking resemblance to the employee uniforms for the supermarket chain Sainsbury’s. Social listening and well-crafted humor can help make a splash on social media and make your organization a part of the bigger cultural conversation. The social media platform is removing the shortcut to its long-form video service, IGTV—a button it displayed at the top of users’ feeds.

Lowe’s new top communicator addresses tech, DE&I and the post-COVID era

PR Daily

Here’s what Ben Boyd, VP of internal and external communications for the home improvement chain starting Oct. He’s been announced as the new top communicator for Lowe’s, leaving his role at BCW to take on a different kind of challenge, one that has him buzzing about the future.

TrendKite’s Comprehensive Guide to Crisis Communications

TrendKite

" Sound like the crisis strategy you know you should have in place? The crisis strategy with contingencies for everything that could go wrong on top of the crisis itself— like not being able to get ahold of the point person for executing the plan or someone else in the chain of command for approvals, for example. There are many reasons it's time to pull out and dust off your crisis strategy for this year and beyond. Communicate as necessary.

TrendKite’s Comprehensive Guide to Crisis Communications

TrendKite

" Sound like the crisis strategy you know you should have in place? The crisis strategy with contingencies for everything that could go wrong on top of the crisis itself— like not being able to get ahold of the point person for executing the plan or someone else in the chain of command for approvals, for example. There are many reasons it's time to pull out and dust off your crisis strategy for this year and beyond. Communicate as necessary.

Cirque du Soleil cuts 3,000 jobs in bankruptcy filing, Target and Chobani join social media ad boycott, and Amazon offers $500M in employee bonuses

PR Daily

Hello, communicators: The cast of Netflix’s “Queer Eye” recently attempted to make over the popular mascot of the Philadelphia Flyers, Gritty. Transparent communications is crucial as you move forward. The World Federation of Advertisers recently surveyed senior executives at “58 companies that collectively [spend] $92 billion on global advertising,” and revealed 31% are already or will probably stop social media ads as part of the #StopHateForProfit boycott—or alongside of it. "In

How to communicate during civil unrest

PR Daily

Communicators, you are essential personnel. That puts communicators in a precarious position, weighing several options: Do you email a generic “solidarity and equality” message internally? Should you post your company’s current events commentary on social media? Do you carry on communicating about your products and services as though the world’s not on fire? Foster a community. Companies can help fill those gaps in trust, solidarity and community.

Doing Crisis Communications Right – Your Follow Up Questions Answered

Melissa Agnes

Since the podcast on “ doing crisis communications right “, with Captain Chris Hsiung and Shino Tanaka, aired last week, I’ve received some really great follow up questions from listeners. Note: If you have any follow up questions during or after listening to any episode of The Crisis Intelligence Podcast , don’t be shy to send them to me so that I can get them answered for you. Your follow up questions answered: Doing crisis communications right.

6 Guidelines for Social Media Tragedy Response

Shift Communications

In the wake of these tragedies, what’s the appropriate social media behavior? If we were to stop our social postings for every event, we’d literally never be able to post on social media again. Rather than a knee-jerk policy of “stop the presses” or an endless stream of “our thoughts and prayers are with the victims” posts, we as communicators, as fellow human beings must balance our humanity with our duties and responsibilities to our companies.